Thank You for Attending the Oregon and Pacific Northwest Aquaculture Development Conference: “Investing in the Future of Seafood”
As the Oregon and Pacific Northwest Aquaculture Development Conference has come to a close, we want to thank our speakers and panelists (listed below), sponsors (listed below), Chef Luis Cabañas and all those in attendance.
The aim of the conference was to evaluate the current situation, understand barriers to growth, and develop strategies to promote sustainable aquaculture development. Attendees participated in interactive sessions, providing input that will help chart a path for expanded and responsible aquaculture investment.
Conference attendees also gained perspective and appreciation of the promise of aquaculture (in Oregon and throughout the United States) as well as a comprehensive understanding of the necessary challenges to overcome in realizing this promise.
Additionally, over beautiful cuisine from Chef Luis Cabañas, conference participants had an opportunity to network and connect with others in the industry, from farmers to researchers to agency and retailers and beyond.
Thank you again to all in attendance! Below is a synopsis of the topics discussed at the conference:
Investing in the Future
Aquaculture has been practiced in Oregon for generations. However, most of the state’s limited aquaculture investments to date focus on shellfish, principally oysters, and salmonids. Based on USDA data, by value, 87% of the Oregon aquaculture private sector harvest is shellfish. Of the remaining 13% of the harvest attributed to finfish, 98% reportedly comes from trout. Trout and oysters have been the staples of Oregon aquaculture for decades — this not considering the large network of public sec-tor salmonid hatcheries and nurseries across the state.
Addressing the Needs of Today
The world’s population is growing rapidly, with increasing concerns for food security, even in more affluent regions. The World Bank predicts aquaculture will assume a greater and greater role worldwide in attracting investment and producing much needed food — contributing an estimated 60% of global seafood supply by 2030.
The Aquaculture Development Conference
The state possesses a unique mix of natural, human, market, and technological resources that offer real investment opportunities. The aim of the conference is to highlight these opportunities while making a realistic assessment of how success can be achieved and what pitfalls often lead to failure. Aquaculture is hard work and the val-ue chain complex, but these can lead to many profitable businesses
Thank you to our sponsors!
Chemeketa Community College
Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians
Oregon State University
Thank you to our speakers and panelists!
Randy Bentz, Oregon Aquaculture Association
Karina Nielsen, Oregon Sea Grant
Paul Zajicek, National Aquaculture Association
Carole Engle, Engle-Stone Aquatic$ LLC
Daisy Berg, New Seasons
Warren Howe, Oregon Fish Co.
Megan Judge, Oregon Aquaculture Association
Tony Vaught, ProAquaculture
Missy Bird, The Mermaid’s Garden
Wally Pereyra, Arctic Storm Management Group
Kellen Parish, NOAA / Oregon Aquaculture Association
Miranda Ries, Pacific Seafood
Steve Rumrill, ODFW
Jim Johnson, ODA
Call Nichols, Blue-Trace
Joe Bratt, NWFC
Ryan Anderson, Steward Foundation
Alexis Nelson, Gybe
Thomas Losordo, Pentair Aquatic Eco-Systems
Katherine Onofryton, Aquatactics
Joel Kelly, Live Local Organic
Tom McDonald, Desert Springs Fish Hatchery
Angee Doerr, Oregon Sea Grant
Dan Tonnes, NOAA
Brielle Cummings, USACE
Dave Stone, FIC
Erick Garman, ODA
Chuck Toombs, Oregon Seaweed/Oregon Dulse
Jeanne McKnight, NWAA
Phil La Vine, CCC
Laura Ferguson, Octant Consulting
Paul Schuytema, Economic Development Alliance of Lincoln County
Heather Desart, Northwest Oregon Works
Corey Habiger, Worksource Oregon